I’m delighted to share the recipe for this absolutely delightful flourless Almond Cake with caramelized apples and cream cheese frosting! It is soft, delicate, perfectly sweet, but not oversweet, and so good that it’s hard to put into words how delicious it is. And the best part is it’s completely flourless and contains only healthy wholesome ingredients!
I can confidently say that this almond cake is a must-try for any baking enthusiast. This cake is perfect for celebrations. The combination of warm spices, caramelized apples, and cream cheese frosting creates a flavor profile that is simply irresistible. Not only does this cake taste amazing, but it also looks stunning when plated. The moist sponge cake with its fluffy frosting and decadent apple filling will leave your guests impressed and wanting more. Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients or the preparation steps – this cake is well worth the effort, and you’ll feel proud and accomplished once you take that first bite. So go ahead and give it a try – I promise you won’t be disappointed!
- Almond flour is a great gluten-free flour substitute. It gives a slightly nutty flavor to the cake and adds moisture and texture.
- Eggs help to bind the ingredients together and provide structure to the cake. They also add moisture and richness to the cake.
- Light brown sugar adds sweetness to the cake. You can use any granulated sweetener you want – regular white sugar, coconut sugar, or for a sugar-free version – Erythritol or Swerve sweetener. But if using coconut or brown sugar, be aware that the color of sponge cakes may be darker.
- Milk. Any type of milk will work – use dairy or plant-based milk, based on your preference.
- Baking powder helps the cake to rise and become fluffy.
- Vanilla, ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg. These spices add flavor to the cake and enhance its overall taste. Cinnamon also complements the flavor of the apples.
- Salt enhances the flavor of the cake and balances the sweetness.
- Apples. The key ingredient to make the filling that is a star of the show! Give incredible rich flavor and taste to the cake. Any types of apples will work for this recipe.
- Coconut sugar adds a caramel-like flavor to the caramelized apple filling.
- Butter for caramelizing apples. May substitute with coconut oil if you prefer.
- Heavy whipping cream to make our cream cheese frosting light and fluffy. Use heavy whipping cream with 35% fat.
- Cream cheese adds a tangy flavor and smooth and creamy texture to the frosting.
How to make Almond Sponge Cakes
The incredible almond sponge cakes are very moist, fluffy, and extremely delicious. When combined with delicate and super creamy no-butter frosting and flavorful spicy caramelized apples, they create an amazing combo that will blow you away.
- To make the almond sponge cakes, first prepare the ingredients at room temperature and preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Separate egg yolks and egg whites, and beat the egg whites with salt until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, beat the yolks with sugar until pale, then add milk, and mix. Add almond flour, baking powder, and spices.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the mixture, pour into prepared pans, and bake for 25 minutes. Cool and remove from pans.
Sweet and flavorful caramelized apples are the perfect addition to the taste. The use of coconut sugar brings an extra caramel flavor. Moreover, such caramelized apples are the perfect topping or filling for any dessert. You may serve it with morning oatmeal or pancakes and make your breakfast special, tasting like dessert. Beautifully flavored with cinnamon, caramelized apples highlight the cake, incredibly enriching its taste.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream cheese frosting is made without butter and has a mild amount of sugar, much less than the regular frosting contains. But at the same time, it is perfectly sweet and balanced. It’s sweet, but not oversweet, and very creamy. It goes perfectly with soft and moist almond sponge cakes and caramelized apple filling. A perfect combination of ingredients.
The amount of frosting, given in the recipe, is enough to make a beautiful semi-naked cake. It is called so because the sides of the cake aren’t completely covered, but just with the minimal amount of frosting swiped around the sides. It exposes the cake layers and adds some elegance to the cake.
Store the cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The cream cheese frosting may become firmer when chilled but will soften again at room temperature. For longer storage, you can freeze the cake for up to 3 months. Thaw the cake overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
More healthy and delicious gluten-free cake recipes
This Almond Cake with caramelized apples and cream cheese frosting will be the star at any holiday table, as it has a delightfully tender texture, unbelievable taste and beautiful look. This cake is absolutely worth making! It’s love from the very first bite.
For the Almond Sponge Cakes:
- 4 large eggs (about 8.5 oz or 240 g)
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup (100 g) light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) milk
- 1 ½ cups (150 g) almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
For the Caramelized Apples:
- 3 medium apples, peeled and diced (about 14 oz or 400 g)
- 4 tbsp (40 g) coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp (40 g) butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ½ cup (120 g) heavy whipping cream (at least 35% fat)
- 8 oz (227 g) cream cheese
- ½ cup (60 g) powdered light brown sugar
- For the Sponge cakes. All the ingredients for the cake should be at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and line the base and sides of two 6-inch (or 16 cm) cake pans with parchment paper.
- Carefully separate egg yolks and egg whites. Using a mixer, beat the egg whites with salt until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl beat the yolks with sugar until they turn pale and increase in volume. Pour the milk into yolks. Then add almond flour, baking powder, and spices, and mix well. Using a silicone spatula, fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture, adding one-third of the whites mass at a time, stirring very carefully. Do not overmix the batter so it does not deflate.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake the cakes for about 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Take it out from the oven, and let cool for about 10 minutes. Remove from the pans and place on the cooling rack to let completely cool.
- For the Caramelized Apples. Peel and dice the apples. Combine apples with sugar and cinnamon.>Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the apples and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Apples should become soft but still retain their shape. Remove from the heat and let the apples cool.
- For the Frosting. All the ingredients for the frosting should be cold, from the fridge. Pour the heavy whipping cream into the bowl. Beat the cream at high speed until stiff peaks form. It’s very important not to overbeat the cream!
- In a separate bowl beat the cream cheese with powdered sugar for about a minute just to combine well and become smooth. Add the whipped cream to the cream cheese and beat on the lowest speed until thoroughly combined. Transfer the frosting into a piping bag.
- For the assembling the cake. Place a tiny amount of frosting on a cake turntable and secure the first sponge cake on top of it. Spread the thin layer of frosting over the first cake. Then pipe a ring of frosting around the border of the cake. Spread half of the apple filling inside. Then pipe a thicker layer of frosting. Top with the second layer cake.
- Coat the top and the sides of the cake with the remaining frosting. This amount of frosting is enough to make a beautiful semi-naked cake.
- Decorate with the frosting flowers (using a piping bag fitted with a tip) and place the other half of the apple filling in the middle. Transfer it to the refrigerator for a couple of hours or overnight.