If you’re looking for a perfect vegan dish for an easy weeknight dinner or even for holiday dinner, you will be excited to try this incredible baked purple sweet potatoes, stuffed with beans and topped with creamy cashew sauce. This bright, colorful and very delicious side dish is nutritionally balanced, loaded with fiber and protein as well as many vitamins and minerals. It’s filling, satisfying and absolutely healthy. And it is so delicious as well!
This bright root vegetable not only looks spectacular, but also has a lot of health benefits. It is rich in antioxidants, especially anthocyanin. This pigment gives this vegetable such a beautiful bright purple color. Antioxidants make an anti-inflammatory effect, fighting free radicals and thereby protecting cells and reducing the risk of certain diseases. Purple sweet potatoes have a lower glycemic index than traditional potatoes have, therefore it may be better for your blood sugar. Anthocyanin reduces the absorption of starches and by that minimizes impact on blood sugar levels.
Taste of purple potatoes is very similar to traditional sweet potatoes, they are mildly sweet, contain a little more starch and therefore are a little bit drier, so cooking may take a little longer.
Beans provide this dish with proteins, making this meal a perfectly balanced dinner for vegans. In fact, you can use any other types of beans in this recipe, not necessarily cannellini or navy beans. You can also use black beans, kidney beans or any other type you want. Be creative with it.
Thyme, oregano, and pepper are great with tomatoes, onions, and garlic, making the beans spicy and more delicious. Best served with creamy and delicate cashew sauce to make the dish more tender and even richer in taste.
Baked purple sweet potatoes with beans and cashew sauce are cozy, quick-cooking, filling, and a very tasty dish. It also looks amazing with its explosion of bright colors, turning a simple everyday meal into a beautiful decoration for any holiday table. It’s simple and unique, nutritious, and very healthy.
More Delicious Side Dish Recipes
- 4 small (14 oz) purple sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14oz can tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 14 oz cans cannellini or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- cashew sauce (for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Using a fork, poke small holes in sweet potatoes going all the way round, about 1-inch apart. Line the baking tray with parchment paper, and brush sweet potatoes with oil to lightly coat. Bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour, or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, make the beans.
- Add the onions to a large skillet, and over medium heat, cook onions for 6-8 minutes until softened.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Add in the diced tomatoes with their juices, water, dried oregano, dried thyme, salt, a couple grinds of pepper and chili flakes. Stir and turn the heat up to high to bring to a boil. Then, turn the heat to medium-low, cover the pan with just a little space for the steam to escape and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in the beans, cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve the sweet potatoes with the beans on top, and a dollop of cashew sauce.