This Creamy Canned Tuna Pasta is my go to recipe when I don’t have time or energy to cook. It’s so easy to make, plus it’s ready literally in minutes. It may look simple, but the taste will surprise you. The combination of creamy sauce, tuna fish and seasonings is amazing. I haven’t met anyone that didn’t like this dish yet. So strongly encourage you to give this pasta recipe a try.
You can use any type of pasta you have in your pantry, spaghetti like I used, fussily, penne, or linguine. Literally any type you like or have. I used gluten free pasta, which can turn out a disaster if you don’t know which brand to choose. I always buy Bionaturae or Jovial Pasta. It’s a safe choice for a gluten free. They taste great and even my husband never noticed the difference)
For the sauce I make a quick cashew cream, but if you don’t have cashews you can substitude with 1 cup of heavy cream or half, or even ready dairy free cooking cream from the store. Just cook it in the pan with spices until it reaches desired thickness.
It’s made in only 15 minutes and you get a proper fully nutritional dish in the end. While the pasta is cooking you can prepare the sauce and it’s all the preparations you have to make for this dish! I usually pour hot water over cashews and let it sit for 15 minutes before blending. But you are in a real rush, just blend them right away. It will work too.
What to add
If you’ll want to add some interesting twist to this dish, here are a few ideas:
– you can add green peas to the sauce and make it similar to tuna casserole.
– add spinach leaves for a healthy and colorful twist.
– add a squeeze of lemon juice and some lemon zest for a fresh summer taste.
– add red pepper flakes if you like spicy food.
You can store leftovers in a fridge, this Canned Tuna Pasta makes a great meal even the next day.
Also, check out our Vegetarian Mexican Pasta recipe.
- 4 oz (113g) Pasta
- 6 oz canned Tuna, drained
- ⅓ cup Cashews
- 2.3 cup Hot water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- ⅓ grated Parmesan (vegan for dairy free option)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Once boiling, add the pasta and continue to boil until the pasta is tender. Drain the pasta in a colander.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce by blending cashews and hot water until completely smooth and creamy. * It'll be really runny, but will thicken while cooking.
- Pour your cashew cream into a large pan, add Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sauce starts to boil and reaches the desired thickness. This will take only 1-2 Minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add your drained pasta. Stir to combine.
- Finally add drained tuna. I like to leave nice whole tuna chunks, so I fold it in very carefully.
- Top with grated parmesan before serving.
* I usually pour hot water over cashews and let it sit for 15 minutes before blending. But you are in a real rush, just blend them right away. It will work too.