This Curry Noodle Salad is a delightful symphony of al dente pasta, crisp veggies, and a dressing that’s pure joy in a bowl. Perfect as a side dish for a barbecue, picnic, weeknight dinner, or any occasion where you want a dish that’s as easy to make as it is to enjoy. Get ready to be impressed by the simplicity and deliciousness of this dish that’s sure to become your new go-to recipe. So let’s dive into this world of flavors!
Kerrie Noedelslaai is a South African salad recipe, where the term “Kerrie” means curry, and “Noedelslaai” translates as noodle salad. This recipe captures the essence of South African cuisine, blending al dente noodles with a medley of colorful vegetables and a curry-infused dressing.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Perfect for Any Occasion: From a refreshing side dish at picnics to a light and satisfying meal on a busy weeknight, this salad is as versatile as it is delicious.
- Healthy and Wholesome: Packed with vibrant veggies and balanced seasonings, this salad is a guilt-free indulgence. Enjoy a nutritious meal without compromising on taste.
- Make-Ahead Magic: Let the flavors mingle by preparing this salad in advance. It’s a time-saving option that ensures a burst of flavors with every bite.
- Versatile and Adaptable: Whether you’re a curry aficionado or just exploring new tastes, this recipe is a canvas for creativity. Customize it with your favorite veggies or protein for a personalized touch.
- Simple and Quick: With minimal cooking and chopping, this recipe comes together in no time, perfect for busy days.
- Vegan and Vegetarian: Embrace a plant-based lifestyle without compromising on flavor. This pasta salad is entirely vegan and vegetarian, catering to diverse dietary preferences.
- Noodles: Choose your favorite pasta shape for a satisfying texture that holds the dressing well. I prefer screws or shells for this recipe.
- Red bell pepper: Adds sweet, crunchy texture to the salad.
- Red onion: Infuses a mild, tangy flavor that complements the curry dressing.
- Curry powder: Infuses the salad with warm, aromatic flavors, providing a distinct curry kick.
- Tomato sauce: Brings a hint of sweetness and a rich saucy texture to the dressing.
- Vinegar: Adds a tangy note, balancing the sweetness of the sauce and enhancing overall flavor.
- Sunflower oil: Provides a neutral oil base.
- Sugar: Sweetens the dressing, creating a harmonious blend with the curry and tomato flavors.
- Salt: Enhances the overall taste and helps balance the sweetness of the dressing.
- Black pepper: Adds a subtle warmth and depth to the dressing, rounding out the flavor profile.
How to Make
- Prepare the Noodles: Cook the noodles according to the package instructions until they are al dente. Drain and rinse the cooked noodles with cold water to stop further cooking. Set aside.
- Mix the Vegetables: In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped bell pepper and red onion with the cooked and cooled noodles.
- Make the Dressing: In a separate bowl, prepare the dressing by mixing curry powder, tomato sauce, vinegar, sunflower oil, sugar, salt, and black pepper. Stir well until the sugar dissolves completely, creating a smooth and flavorful dressing.
- Combine and Toss: Pour the dressing over the salad. Gently toss the salad to ensure the dressing coats everything evenly.
- Chill and Let the Flavors Mingle: Place the salad in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to an hour, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Serve and Enjoy: Before serving, give the salad a final toss to redistribute the dressing and flavors. Present this tangy noodle salad chilled as a refreshing side dish or a light meal.
Helpful Tips for the Best Results
- Cook Noodles Al Dente: Ensure the noodles are cooked al dente. This helps them maintain a pleasing texture in the salad and prevents them from becoming mushy.
- Rinse Noodles Thoroughly: After cooking, rinse the noodles under cold water to stop the cooking process and remove excess starch. This helps prevent clumping and ensures a refreshing salad.
- Marinate for Enhanced Flavor: Allow the salad to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. This lets the noodles absorb the flavors of the dressing, resulting in a more robust taste.
- Adjust Sweetness and Tanginess: Taste the dressing before adding it to the salad. Adjust the sugar or vinegar quantities based on your preference for sweetness and tanginess.
- Serve Chilled: For the best experience, serve the Curry Noodle Salad chilled. The cold temperature enhances the flavors and makes it a refreshing dish, especially on warm days.
- Garnish for Visual Appeal: Before serving, garnish the salad with a sprinkle of fresh chopped cilantro or green onions.
- Storing Leftovers: Store the leftover salad in an airtight container in the fridge. The flavors often intensify, making it even more delicious the next day.
- Add the Protein: Boost the protein content by incorporating grilled chicken strips for a non-vegetarian version or tofu cubes for a vegetarian and vegan version. The savory protein complements the curry flavors beautifully.
- Low-carb Option: Substitute noodles with zoodles – replace traditional noodles with zucchini noodles (zoodles) for a refreshing and light alternative.
- Sprinkle with Crushed Peanuts: Introduce a delightful crunch by sprinkling crushed peanuts over the salad just before serving.
- Add Pineapple Chunks: Infuse a tropical twist by tossing in pineapple chunks. The sweet and tangy flavor pairs exceptionally well with the curry dressing.
- Spice it Up, drizzling with Sriracha or Chili Flakes: If you crave a bit of heat, add a drizzle of Sriracha sauce or a pinch of chili flakes to elevate the spice level.
- Mediterranean Fusion: Transform your salad into a Mediterranean delight by adding artichoke hearts and crumbled vegan feta. The combination adds complexity and richness.
- Zest with Lemon or Lime: Brighten up the flavors with a citrusy touch. Zest a lemon or lime over the salad for a refreshing and zesty kick.
Feel free to mix and match these variations or get creative with your own additions. Enjoy experimenting and discovering your favorite rendition!
To maintain its freshness, transfer any remaining salad into an airtight container and refrigerate promptly. The chilled environment enhances the melding of flavors, making it even more flavorful with time. Whether planning for the next day’s lunch or a snack, stored properly, the Curry Noodle Salad retains its vibrant taste and satisfying textures. Be sure to consume within 2-3 days, and for an extra burst of freshness, give it a gentle toss before serving any refrigerated portions.
Curry Pasta Salad is a versatile dish that’s quick to prepare and guaranteed to please. Whether you’re a curry enthusiast or just looking for a change from the ordinary, give this recipe a try. It’s a symphony of flavors that you will like a lot!
Remember to share your creations on social media using #CurryNoodleSalad and #willowsfood – we’d love to see your delicious adaptations!
More Nourishing Salad Recipes to Try
For the Salad:
- 250 grams (8.8 oz) noodles (screws or shells)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
For the Dressing:
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 4 tbsp vinegar
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- ¼ cup sugar (white or brown)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions until they are al dente. Drain and rinse the cooked noodles with cold water to stop further cooking. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped bell pepper and red onion with the cooked and cooled noodles.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the dressing by mixing curry powder, tomato sauce, vinegar, sunflower oil, sugar, salt, and black pepper. Stir well until the sugar dissolves completely, creating a smooth and flavorful dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the noodle and vegetable mixture. Gently toss everything together to ensure the dressing coats all the ingredients evenly.
- Place the salad in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to an hour, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Before serving, give the salad a final toss to redistribute the dressing and flavors.