This Kidney Bean Salad with Spicy Peanut Butter Dressing is very easy to make, delicious, and loaded with proteins, healthy fats, and fiber. It can be an excellent healthy dinner or side dish. It is very filling and nutritious, but at the same time is light and refreshing. It’s packed with flavor, texture, and colors. I’m sure you’ll like it!
For this flavorful salad, we’ll be using a variety of fresh ingredients. You’ll need red kidney beans, which are rich in protein and fiber, as well as spinach, cherry tomatoes, radishes, red onion, green peas, and peanuts. These ingredients provide a range of textures and flavors, making for a delicious and well-balanced salad.
To give the salad a unique and zesty twist, we’ll be whipping up a special peanut butter dressing. The dressing is made from a combination of peanut butter, water, soy sauce, lime juice, maple syrup, Tabasco sauce, garlic powder, and salt. When mixed together, these ingredients create a tangy, slightly sweet dressing that perfectly complements the other ingredients in the salad.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Healthy and nutritious. This salad is a great choice for those looking for a satisfying and flavorful meal that’s packed with wholesome ingredients. It’s loaded with plant-based protein and fiber from kidney beans, peanuts, and veggies, while the spicy peanut butter dressing adds a delicious kick. Plus, it’s a refreshing and light option for warm weather days, making it a perfect addition to your summer menu.
- Vegan and gluten-free. This recipe is both vegan and gluten-free, making it perfect for those with dietary restrictions.
- Easy and super quick. You will need only 10 minutes of prep time to make this salad – just combine all ingredients, serve, and enjoy! It’s perfect for those busy days when you don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen.
- Versatile: This salad can be served as a side dish, a main course, or even as a filling for a wrap or sandwich. You can also customize the recipe by adding your favorite vegetables or using a different type of bean. See the variations section below.
- Perfect for meal prep. The salad can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for a quick and easy lunch or dinner throughout the week.
How to Make Spicy Peanut Butter Dressing
A spicy peanut dressing complements this healthy salad. Incredible peanut flavor and hot Tabasco create a very delicious combo. It’s hot and creamy, full of proteins and healthy fats. To make it, add creamy peanut butter, lime juice, soy sauce, maple syrup, garlic powder, Tabasco sauce, water, and salt to a small bowl and whisk together until well combined. Also can use a blender or food processor.
This spicy peanut sauce can be used not only as a salad dressing, it’s versatile and also can be used as a condiment for many other dishes such as pasta, spring rolls, grilled vegetables, and more. Its nutty, spicy, and slightly sweet flavor makes it a perfect addition to many dishes, adding a touch of heat and depth of flavor. So, feel free to experiment and use it as a dipping sauce for your favorite foods or as a sauce to add flavor to your meals.
Tips on Making this Salad
- Rinse the canned kidney beans thoroughly with cold water to remove excess salt and starch.
- Toast the peanuts. It will enhance their flavor and provide a nice crunch to the salad.
- If the consistency of the dressing is too thick, add a little bit of water. The consistency may depend on the consistency of your peanut butter.
- Taste the salad and adjust the seasoning according to your preference. If you want it spicier, add more hot sauce or red pepper flakes.
- Feel free to experiment with different ingredients to make this salad your own. You can add other vegetables such as cucumbers or bell peppers, or swap out the kidney beans for another type of bean like black beans or chickpeas.
Adding kidney beans to your daily meal will bring a lot of healthy benefits to your body. It is a good way to increase protein and fiber intake without adding a lot of calories, so it is also great for those who are on a weight-loss diet. Also, they are very versatile and can be cooked in many different ways. Even in desserts, they are great. The name originates from its visual shape and color similarity to a kidney.
- Other types of beans. You can substitute kidney beans for other types of beans – black beans, white or cannellini beans, chickpeas, or lentils.
- Quinoa. Instead of using only kidney beans, you can add cooked quinoa to the salad for an additional source of protein and texture.
- Avocado. Adding diced avocado to the salad will not only provide healthy fats but also add creaminess and richness to the dish.
- Mango. For a tropical twist, add diced mango to the salad. It pairs well with the peanut dressing and adds a sweet and tangy flavor.
- Feta cheese: If you’re not vegan, crumbled feta cheese can be a delicious addition to the salad. It provides a salty and tangy flavor that complements the other ingredients.
- Fresh herbs. Adding fresh herbs such as parsley, cilantro, basil, or mint to the salad can enhance the flavors and add a pop of color.
- Tofu. For an additional source of plant-based protein, you can add cubed or crumbled tofu to the salad.
- Balsamic vinegar. If you prefer a tangy dressing instead of peanut dressing, you can mix balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, and honey together and drizzle it over the salad.
- If you don’t like spicy food, you can reduce the amount of hot sauce in the peanut dressing or even omit it altogether. Alternatively, you can use a milder hot sauce or substitute it with sweet chili sauce.
The salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Keep the dressing separately and add it shortly before serving to keep the salad fresh and crispy.
I love this recipe very much because it’s so easy to make and packed with healthy ingredients. The combination of the creamy peanut butter and the spicy Tabasco sauce gives the salad a special kick. Plus, it’s versatile enough to be enjoyed as a main dish or a side dish, and it makes for great leftovers the next day. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
More Salad Recipes for a Healthy Dinner
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out other delicious salads that are perfect for a healthy dinner:
For the Salad:
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 4 radishes
- 1 package (5 oz or 140 g) spinach
- ⅓ cup green peas
- 2 tbsp peanuts, roasted and chopped
For the Dressing:
- 3 tbsp (50 g) peanut butter
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- ⅓ tsp garlic powder
- salt to taste
- To make the sauce, add creamy peanut butter, water, soy sauce, lime juice, maple syrup, Tabasco sauce, garlic powder, and salt to a small bowl and whisk together until well combined.
- Rinse and drain canned kidney beans.
- Cut cherry tomatoes into halves. Chop the onion and slice the radishes.
- Place spinach and veggies on serving plates.
- Top with kidney beans and sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
- Sprinkle with peanut dressing and gently toss.