Oven roasted baby carrots are a delightful side dish that can be served with a variety of meals. These caramelized carrots have a natural sweetness that pairs perfectly with herbs and salt. They are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, making a wonderful complement to any dish. The bright orange color of carrots makes them a perfect for any festive table. But you will definitely want to serve them for a weeknight dinner too, as they are so easy and quick to make.
Baby carrots are not only delicious but also packed with nutrients that can benefit your health in many ways. These little veggies are a great source of vitamin A, which is essential for maintaining healthy vision, skin, and immune system. They are also low in calories and high in fiber, making them a great snack option for weight management and digestive health. Additionally, baby carrots are rich in antioxidants like beta-carotene, which can protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases. Also they are a good source of potassium, which is important for regulating blood pressure and maintaining heart health. So, whether you enjoy them roasted, raw, or as a snack, baby carrots are a tasty and nutritious addition to any meal or snack time.
How to make
Making oven roasted baby carrots is super easy. All you need is baby carrots, some olive oil, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. That’s it! You just mix everything making sure all your carrots are nicely covered in spices. Then let the oven make its magic and turn your regular carrots into a real treat – super easy, healthy dish that looks and tastes amazing is ready!
Substitutions & Variations
Want a bit more fancy option? Try one of the following ideas for creating different flavors:
- Use different herbs such as thyme or sage, which pair well with carrots.
- Adding some garlic is also a great idea. Add garlic cloves to the roasting pan for extra flavor. Try adding them halfway through cooking to prevent them from burning.
- Use ghee butter instead of olive oil for a richer flavor.
- Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over the roasted carrots for a more decadent dish.
- Use rainbow carrots instead of regular carrots for a colorful twist.
- Cut the carrots into different shapes, such as rounds or diagonal slices, for a varied texture and appearance.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg to the spice mixture for a hint of sweetness.
- Drizzle honey or maple syrup over the roasted carrots for a sweet glaze.
- For a spicy kick, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the spice mixture.
How to store oven roasted baby carrots
You can store the roasted carrots in the fridge for up to 4 days. Let them cool to room temperature and then transfer the carrots to an airtight container. When you’re ready to reheat them, simply place them in the oven or microwave until heated through. If you want to freeze them, place them in a freezer-safe container or bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
More healthy and easy vegetable side dish recipes
Oven roasted carrots are a delicious and healthy side dish that can complement a wide variety of main dishes. And if you will be able to find baby carrots, don’t chop them and leave the green tops. You will have a beautiful dish plus it works great as a snack. Serve it with your favorite dipping sauce and use the tips to hold the carrots. It’s cool and healthy snack idea! Try to serve it with this Sunflower Seed Pesto, you’ll like this combination!
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To prepare your carrots, peel them and then cut lengthwise into two pieces. If the carrots are small and thin leave them whole.
- Place the carrots on the baking sheet. Add the olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Toss until the carrots are evenly coated in oil and seasonings. Arrange them in a single layer.
- Roast the carrots until they’re caramelized on the edges and fork tender, 25 to 40 minutes, tossing halfway.
- Serve warm and sprinkle some more thyme before serving. You can also add more salt if needed.