Treat yourself to the irresistible flavors of our Gluten-free Strawberry Pie, a mouthwatering dessert that is also vegan, dairy-free, and made without the use of jello. With its luscious strawberry filling which gives the perfect balance of natural sweetness and tangy bursts, and flaky gluten-free crust, this pie is a true celebration of taste and flavor in each bite.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Natural ingredients: The use of fresh strawberries provides a burst of natural sweetness and vibrant color. The filling is thickened with agar agar, a plant-based alternative to gelatin, ensuring a luscious texture without the need for animal products.
- No artificial additives: Unlike many traditional strawberry pie recipes that rely on artificial gelatin or jello, this recipe avoids those additives. It provides a cleaner and more wholesome dessert option for those seeking a more natural approach to their food.
- Easy and simple: With just a few steps, this recipe is great for both experienced bakers and beginners. You can easily follow instructions and create a delightful strawberry pie that will impress your family and friends.
- Versatility: This recipe allows customization and adaptation. From the choice of pie crust to the variations in fruit and toppings, you can tailor the pie to suit your preferences and experiment with different flavors, making it a versatile dessert option.
- Refreshing and light: The combination of fresh strawberries and the tangy strawberry filling creates a refreshing and light dessert that is perfect for warmer days or as a sweet treat after a hearty meal.
- A crowd pleaser: Whether you’re serving guests with dietary restrictions or simply looking for a healthier dessert option, this gluten-free strawberry pie is sure to be a hit. Its vibrant colors, delightful flavors, and beautiful presentation make it an impressive dessert to share.
- Gluten-free and vegan: The recipe is absolutely dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan, making it a perfect choice for everyone with dietary restrictions. It allows you to enjoy a delectable strawberry pie without compromising your lifestyle or dietary needs.
- Fresh strawberries are the star ingredient of this pie, providing vibrant color, juicy sweetness, and a burst of fruity flavor. Be sure to select ripe strawberries that are firm and fragrant for the best results.
- Agar agar is a plant-based gelling agent derived from seaweed. It serves as a vegan alternative to gelatin and provides the necessary thickening and setting properties for the strawberry filling. See more info about it in the section below.
- Sugar adds sweetness and helps to balance the tartness of the strawberries. You can adjust the amount of sugar based on your personal preference and the sweetness of the strawberries.
- Apple juice serves as the liquid component for dissolving the agar agar and creating the jelly-like consistency of the strawberry filling. Its mild, natural sweetness complements the flavors of the strawberries.
- Gluten-free pie crust. A pre-baked and completely cooled gluten-free pie crust forms the base for this lovely dessert. I suggest making homemade gluten-free pie crust using our true and tried recipe, but of course, you also can use store-bought pie crust.
What is Agar Agar?
Agar agar is a natural gelling agent derived from seaweed that is commonly used as a vegan alternative to gelatin. It provides the thickening and setting properties needed to create a firm and stable strawberry filling in our gluten-free pie. Agar agar is available in powder or flake form and is known for its clear texture and neutral taste. Unlike gelatin, agar agar sets at room temperature, making it a versatile ingredient for various desserts, including vegan and vegetarian recipes. It is also gluten-free, making it suitable for those with dietary restrictions or preferences.
When using agar agar, it’s important to dissolve it completely to ensure proper setting. This is typically achieved by simmering it with a liquid, such as apple juice, as in this recipe.
How to make the Pie
Follow these simple steps to make the best gluten-free strawberry pie:
- Prepare the ingredients. Gather all the ingredients for the pie: a baked and cooled gluten-free pie crust, fresh strawberries, agar agar powder (or flakes), sugar, and apple juice.
- Puree the strawberries. Slice the tops off the fresh strawberries and place half of them into a food processor. Blend the strawberries until smooth, creating a strawberry puree.
- Prepare the strawberry filling. In a small saucepan, combine the apple juice and agar agar powder. Sprinkle the agar agar powder evenly over the apple juice. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure the agar agar fully dissolves.
- Incorporate the strawberry puree. Add the strawberry puree and the sugar to the saucepan with the apple juice and agar agar mixture. Stir well to combine all the ingredients, ensuring a smooth and homogeneous mixture.
- Assemble the pie. Take the remaining fresh strawberries and arrange them in the prepared gluten-free pie crust. You can use whole strawberries, halved, or sliced, based on your preference. Pour the strawberry mixture evenly over the strawberries in the pie crust, ensuring the filling is distributed throughout the pie.
- Chill and set. Place the pie in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours to allow the filling to set. This cooling process ensures a firm and sliceable texture.
- Serve and enjoy. Once the pie has been set, remove it from the refrigerator. Slice the gluten-free strawberry pie into desired portions and serve chilled. Optionally, top the cake with whipped coconut cream or your favorite dairy-free alternative.
How to make the Gluten-free Pie Crust
Making a gluten-free pie crust is easy and simple. For detailed step-by-step instructions and measurements, check out our recipe for a homemade gluten-free pie crust. This crust is easy to make and provides a perfect base for this gluten-free strawberry pie. Simply follow the steps in the recipe to create a flaky and flavorful crust that complements the strawberry filling beautifully.
Tips for Success
Creating the perfect gluten-free strawberry pie requires attention to detail and a few key tips. Follow these suggestions to get the best results:
- Use fresh, ripe strawberries: Choose fresh, ripe strawberries for the best flavor and texture. Look for strawberries that are bright red, fragrant, and firm.
- Properly measure the agar agar: Accurately measure the agar agar powder or flakes to ensure the correct setting of the strawberry filling. Follow the recipe’s instructions and measurements for optimal results.
- Dissolve agar agar completely: When simmering the apple juice and agar agar mixture, ensure that the agar agar is fully dissolved. Stir the mixture occasionally to prevent forming any clumps.
- Thoroughly chill the pie: Allow the pie to chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or until the filling is fully set. This will ensure the right texture.
- Decorate with whipped coconut cream for a fluffy topping: To make a whipped coconut cream, refrigerate a can of full-fat coconut milk overnight. Scoop out the solidified coconut cream, leaving the liquid behind. Whip the cream, using a mixer until light and fluffy, adding sweetener and vanilla extract if desired.
- Allow the pie to rest before serving: After removing the pie from the fridge, let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before slicing and serving. This allows the pie to slightly soften and makes it easier to cut clean slices.
By following these tips, you’ll make the best gluten-free strawberry pie that’s bursting with flavor and satisfies your dessert cravings.
Variations and Serving Suggestions
- Toasted Almond or Coconut Flakes Topping: Enhance the texture and add a nutty flavor to the pie by sprinkling toasted almond or coconut flakes on top. Toast the flakes in a dry skillet over medium heat until golden and fragrant. Sprinkle the flakes over the pie slices just before serving for a delightful crunch and flavor.
- Serve with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream: Pair your gluten-free strawberry pie with a scoop of creamy vanilla bean ice cream for a classic and comforting dessert combination. The cold and creamy ice cream provides a delightful contrast to the warm pie, creating a satisfying harmony of flavors and temperatures.
- Mixed Berry Pie: Experiment with different types of berries, such as raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries, to create a colorful mixed berry pie bursting with summer flavors. Adjust the sweetness based on the tartness of the berries.
- Nutty Crust: Replace the traditional gluten-free crust with a nut-based crust using ground almonds or walnuts.
- Garnish with Fresh Mint: Sprinkle a few leaves on top of the pie slices before serving to infuse a refreshing burst of mint flavor. The mint complements the strawberries beautifully and adds a touch of elegance to the dessert.
How to store
To store your gluten-free strawberry pie, place it in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap, or in an airtight container, to maintain its freshness. Consume the pie within 2-3 days for optimal taste and texture. If you have leftovers you won’t consume within that time, you can freeze individual slices. Wrap each slice tightly in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe bag or container. Frozen pie slices can be stored for up to 2-3 months. Thaw the slices in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for a few hours before enjoying. Keep in mind that freezing may slightly affect the texture.
More Gluten-free Desserts to Try:
- Gluten-free Strawberry Chantilly Cake
- Sugar free Carrot Cake (Gluten-free, Grain-free)
- Almond Cake with Caramelized Apples and Cream Cheese Frosting
- Strawberry Trifles
- Peach Vanilla Cheesecake Trifles
- 1 gluten-free pie crust, baked and completely cooled
- 4 cups (550 g) fresh strawberries
- 1 ¼ cups (300 g) apple juice
- 3 tbsp (21 g) agar agar powder (or flakes)
- ½ cup (100 g) sugar
- Slice the tops off the strawberries and place half of them into a food processor
- Pour the apple juice into a small saucepan and sprinkle the agar agar powder on top. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure the agar agar has dissolved completely.
- Add the strawberry puree and the sugar to the saucepan. Stir well until the ingredients are fully combined.
- Place the remaining half of the strawberries into the prepared pie crust. You can use whole strawberries, halved, or sliced, based on your preference.
- Pour the strawberry jelly mixture over the strawberries in the pie crust, making sure to distribute it evenly. Place the pie in the fridge for at least 2 hours to set. Serve with whipped coconut cream.